Yesterday, just before I left the house to go to work, I checked cnn.com just to catch up on the news for the day, and I saw that there was a shooting at Virgina Tech. At that point the headlines read "SCHOOL SHOOTING - One dead and seven injured". All at once, I slouched down in my chair and mouth kinda fell open out of shock. My initial reaction was, "Dang. Man. This sucks. What is wrong with people." I was mostly upset. As I was driving to work I started to kinda get angry about the whole situation. What kind of disturbed human could do something like that? Go on to campus and shoot 8 innocent people, no matter what their excuse was.
As it usually goes in my life, I forgot about the whole situation as soon as I got to work and started only thinking about myself. Went throughout the day, had a pretty good day, sold a car, then about 7:00 after my customers left I got news that 32 people had died in the event and several more injured. I couldn't believe it. 32 people. What kind of person does that. I got even more angry, and I don't really know what I was angry about. Maybe that people are capable of doing something like that, maybe that no one had known this "loner" well enough to stop this, I don't know what exactly made me so angry.
We live in a jacked up world. Things are not as they should be. But one day, one day not to far away, we will be in perfect harmony and peace with God, nature, and others (please read Micah 4). This makes me want to "hasten The Day" and a main motivation for wanting to fulfill the Great Commission. This gets me excited like few things can.
But I am not about to say that the wickedness of my heart is somehow less than that of Cho Seung-Hui 's. I just have Jesus. I firmly believe that anyone of any position is capable of any sin at any time. But that is for another entry. However, I would like to hear a response on that from my two readers.
Anywho, to the point that caused me to write on this thing after six months. At the outset, I want to say I mean no sort of disrespect and would never try to lessen the horrible events at Virgina Tech. My prayers and sympathy go out to the students, families, friends, and and our nation, and I pray that God would be glorified and made much of because of these events.
I understand that these events hit close to home for us, and that is a large reason that this shock wave has been sent throughout our country. It was on our soil. That is why 9-11 changed the course of history when 2,392 people died in New York. It was here. It was our countrymen. These college students were innocent. It could have easily been one of us. But is one person's life worth more than another's? I think most people would say no, at least in theory. All men created equal, right? We don't live with the "life boat" mentality that Donald Miller talks about do we? Can we call ourselves followers of Jesus if we do? If you think that the middle to upper class people who live next to us (and who we are) are worth more in the sight of God than the crack addict living ten minutes from us in downtown and cant provide for their kids, even if it is their fault (the people we should also be ministering to, if not more so), then you can quit reading here. You wont be able to follow the rest of my logic. And you can also continue to live in your selfish world that you are shut up in, and if you are still going to "be a Christian" then read your Bible and tell me where I am wrong. And read Matthew 25:31-46 and be scared for your eternal state. It scares me about mine. (I just got really mad while I was typing that. It is probably conviction falling on me.) But I don't believe that there is any way to Biblically state that one person is worth more to God than the next, unless you want to talk about the Jews. If so, my Gentile friends, we are screwed.
So if we say people are people no matter what color, age, sex, orientation, race, or hair style, why does the fact that 34 people died in another Iraq bombing the day before the Va Tech massacre so easily roll out of our, my, mind? Problem. Why does current mass genocide get five minutes of air time a week, and Jesus people forget about it when a funny commercial comes on. Problem. I think I know why. In theory I believe people are equal, but I don't believe it in reality. AIDS in Africa, Darfur, Cambodia child sex slavery, The Congo, our own brothers being persecuted today (Voice of the Martyrs), and on and on. I can understand media playing Va Tech quite a bit and forgetting the rest of the world. They are mostly sinners who don't know better. But I cant understand Christian's being as distraught and tore up over this while being so ignorant and naive about the rest of the world. Have a global mindset. Get over yourself. Don't forget or neglect your country, but don't forget or neglect others.
So I am going to be upset and mourn the events of Monday, but not any more than I did the events of Sunday.
Needing a lesser view of myself and a higher view of others,
-colby
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
hecks yeah!
You freakin need to update this thing at least 12 times more often than you do (you do the math).
I feel you on the being mad thing. I'm pretty sure I decided on my eternal drive home that I'm most mad that, like you said, people were too concerned about themselves to pour into this kid. I'm pretty sure I didn't pour into about twenty kids who but for Grace didn't do the same thing.
Also, great word on the Iraq comparison. We need a bigger worldview, more in the way of an eternal one than a global one... but a global one wouldn't hurt anything.
Word. Completely word. I agree wholeheartedly. We are a messed up people. All of us. "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind, to reward a man according to his conduct, according to what his deeds deserve." Jer. 17:9-10. And our deeds deserve nothing, because our hearts are completely black. God is the giver of anything good, so anything good we do in this life is a gift of God. But the fact is, all of our motivation is completely self seeking, tainted in some way. Thank the Lord (literally) that through His grace, his love covers over all of our sins, if we have a relationship with Him. It's these deceitful, self-seeking hearts that reek havoc of this world. How tight is it that heaven is going to be brought down to us on a new earth with the beauty of this earth minus all the crud, the pain, all the hurt. The deceitfulness that lies to us runs rampant all over the world, and VT is sadly only one example of the reign Satan tries to hold over this world. But once again in our deceitfulness, we focus in only on the tragedies of our choosing...good post Colby. solid. do it again. soon.
ditto d.o. (especially the updating part)
:) you write well
and i love your thoughts
and your love for Father
Convicting...Powerful...True. Thanks. -Emily's Friend
Hey Colby - good to get another post from you - obviously you're doing a lot of thinking about stuff that's been happening - good on ya!
This is Cornelia, by the way! Liz, Karmen, Mikey and I are back for another season in Alaska, and Liz wants to get in touch! Her email is mountaingirl46@hotmail.com. Drop us a line!
PS. I am reading the Gospel according to Biff - it's great, you're right!
How did I just find this? I guess I kinda forgot about your blog until now. Good stuff, Colbs.
Hit me right in the gut.
Cool how God shows us things through others.
Cool to see community even though we are all over the place.
Thanks.
Post a Comment