With that gushy stuff aside, I will try to fill you in on the past few months. Well, it feels like months, I guess it has only been two weeks. Today has been my first day off and I took the community car from the glacier and headed up to the big town of
**A short disclaimer: This post is probably going to be long, so I apologize. A lot has happened. Read until you are tired of reading, don’t feel obligated. The future will have much shorter posts.**
First, a funny little story. The owners of MICA Guides/Exposure Alaska live about 45 mins from our command post at the glacier. They life right off a little river and built their home from scratch. Very modest, but very cool. The grow lots of food and live pretty sustainably on their own. They have this wooden hot tub that is heated by a fire pit inside of a metal box that is attached. The first night I arrived and meet everyone we had a BBQ at their house. (Most of the guides here are vegetarians, so the only meat we had was salmon. Different style BBQ than in
So everyone here has gotten pretty close pretty quick. (If you couldn’t guess from the story above.) We all work pretty hard and don’t take many showers, and it is amazing how living is such close quarters and smells can unite a group. I wonder how long it will be until we have a big argument. It is bound to happen. But as of now, everyone is really laid back and cool to everyone, even if they completely disagree with you. We have had tons of great conversation about anything you can imagine. Spirituality, politics, climbing, cooking, and how to get good tips. Telling people about Jesus has to be done different in this context, and it is. And it is going great. The Holy Spirit has done some amazing things already, and I am getting pretty excited. It is so relieving to realize that He is in charge and sovereign over salvation. And since I have submitted to that and quite striving so hard on my own power He has done more than I could have imagined. Again, prayer is huge, and do it all you can. This is at least as big of an opportunity as I had in
The port-o-potties are amazing here. (Good transition, huh) That is our facilities for the summer, and they are not your normal port-o-potties that you find at construction sites. These are really clean a well kept. And they even smell good! I don’t know how it happens, but they do. I look forward to using them. They are much warmer and feel good on chilly mornings. OK, maybe that was too far.
I have more stories, but I will get them to you soon. I am tired of typing now. But before I leave you, I thought I would let you know that moose kill more people in
We have a few moose that hang around our campsites and two nights ago, at about 2:00 I heard a massive one (it must have been 20 feet tall by the sounds of it in the night) right out side my tent. It was walking circles around my tent, and eating for about 10 mins. I am pretty sure I didn’t breath or move the whole time.
-colby
Bear count: 0
Moose count: 3
10 comments:
Colby
Itis great to hear from you. Sounds like things are going great.
Same ole Same ole here it is l00 degree here, so we are headed to Russia for a week. Papa says to watch out for the Moose and the Hot tub. We love you and are praying for you. Love MaMa
youre crazy...yeah we have more time to be tight...i miss your face bro, but mainly miss the fact that we are so real with each other...you know what i mean...dont mean to be gushy, but i was thinking about how tight we are...have fun, and ive got your back bro...
Carrry me away in the jetstream!
I feel like I should say something funny about you and naked people, but I've got nothing at the moment. But just know that later I'll probably think of something real funny and I'll probably laugh about it.
Keep up your witness. Consistency will mean a lot more to your friends than words. I'm praying for you...
colbs...i loved reading this...beyond funny. praying for ya and i'm looking forward to some more entries. I'm heading up to CO on Saturday with 5 jr highers so i'm way excited about it! don't succumb to the peer pressure and jump in the hot tub naked:) hilarious. make sure you know what to do to not get taken out by the moose. Chaney can't ever remember what you do or don't do...no telling when she'll get taken out:) press on my brother! you're great!
colbs,
omg...sounds like you're having a blast there and you're really able to just be you, which is so rad. it sounds pretty "free" too, which i totally heart. i know that God is using you there colbs as you just walk with Him and as you're real with Him and those around you. peace brother! i'm praying.
"they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death." rev. 12:11
First of all, don't listen to Kelly, you better get naked (actually, I'm fairly confident you already have).
Second, I really enjoyed reading something that you wrote (namely, this entry). I just love Colby Ivey so much, reading the words from your fingers isn't really enough, but it'll suffice until 2009 when I see you again.
Keep being tight and call me sometime if you can. I, like Jon, miss you a lot. Love you man.
Between your posts and Reese's emails from Alaska, I think I could arrive there and immediately feel at home, or be considered an expert....or something. I am excited about everything you are learning and the growth you are experiencing. Soak up every moment. Careful around the moose, we were warned about them in Estonia too!
hi there friend,
loved reading of your adventures...must admit that I am a bit jealous:) college station is sweet and familiar, but i am itching for an adventure and the unknown...costa rica in a month! yes!
Steer clear of the moose....or mooses...hmmm no...just moose.
breathe deep, live well, enjoy the moments...
"taste and see that the Lord is good..." psalm 34:8
-cate
Colby
As i read all the other posts that you have recieved i dont know if i can hang with the wit or the sentimentalness but i will give it my best shot. I was so blessed to read your blog...it made me spirit really happy and makes me want to bust out in a smile all over. You have no idea how much it blesses my heart to hear that things are going so well.
I have to agree with DO that you have already been naked and you just didnt want to tell you mom. I am sure that you we quite proud of you bumper, as you will always be since the naked run on the ranch. Also I think the correct way to pluralize moose is meese. Hope all is well, you know i will be rending the heavens for you!!
You know who this be
nah, mooses... linley laughed at me the other day (she's a girl on my team) b/c i said meese. meese is not a word. and friend, don't fall in love with naked new zealand girls!! ;). Hope all is well, The Father Land is fantastic... i'm going to hamburg soon to work with/meet the team up there- i'll be working with them when i live in Hannover! Keep updating! i ilke your updates!
lajo
Post a Comment